A number of towns which were at one time part of Westchester County now form the Bronx.The towns were annexed by New York City over a period of many years and finally combined to form the Bronx Borough in 1898. Records (such as wills and deeds) that were created before annexation were retained by Westchester County. Records created after annexation were theoretically kept by New York City until 1914 when the Bronx Borough became Bronx County.
Listed below are the annexed Westchester towns (indicated in bold lettering) with their dates of annexation. Beneath each town is a list of the villages which were, at one time or another, located within the boundaries of that town.
Because records of these towns have become widely scattered, a list of record-keeping organizations in the Bronx and New York City is also available.
Westchester Towns (including their corresponding Villages) and annexation dates that are now part of the Bronx:
Claremont (western portion)
Melrose (east & south portions)
Morrisania (east old portions)
Morrisport (a.k.a. Port Morris)
Mott Haven (opposite Harlem)
West Farms (1874)
Morrisania (central portion, a.k.a. Adamsville, Mt. Hope)
West Farms Village
Classons Point (a.k.a. Cornhills Neck)
West Farms Village (until 1846)